MUCH

With over 12 successful events, participants have raised over

$251,000.00

Media

media release
Monday, March 3, 2014

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release

 Equipment for the newly completed Outdoor Sports Pad 
is the main focus of this year’s Cops and Rockers…
Young rockers hope to raise enough funds to equip and fence the sports pad.

Cornwall, ON – The dream of new equipment and fencing for the new outdoor play space at the new Boys and Girls Club in Cornwall’s east end is about to become a reality announced a beaming Chief, Daniel Parkinson at this morning’s breakfast held at the club to announce details of the next MuchMusic Video Dance Cops and Rockers event.

 Speaking to an audience of committed School Superintendents, Principals, Teachers, Students and various volunteers and supporters, “With over $199,000 already raised by our young students from grades 5 to 8 in 9 previous events, and with the added ability to now raise funds online, I’m confident our innovative youth will once again raise the necessary funds to complete the outdoor sports pad”, added Chief Parkinson. In addition, the funds raised allows us to maintain the Boys & Girls Club operations in Cornwall and to serve just that many more children and young people as we go forward.

The event, which can accommodate up to 1,100 students, returns to its usual hosted location of the Cornwall Armouries on Fourth Street East, on Friday May 9th 2014. The innovative program unites Police officers and volunteers from the community with students from grades 5 to 8 in Cornwall schools, who in turn use pledge sheets to raise funds. By raising a minimum $25.00 in total pledges, the students receive a personalized and numbered Cops and Rockers dance pass and a chance to win exciting prizes. Through the generous support of many local sponsors, prizes will be given away during the dance, and this year’s top three fundraisers will pick from a prize pool consisting of a 64GB Microsoft Surface tablet, or a Nintendo Wii U deluxe set or a Canon Power Shot WiFi digital camera.  

Chief Parkinson has earmarked 80% of the funds raised at Cornwall’s event for the outdoor sports pad, while the remaining 20% of the funds will go directly to the participating schools. The more funds a specific school raises, the more they will receive.

“New for this year’s event is the addition of a secure online donation system for both the small and big Rockers,” announced Christiane Taylor, Administrative assistant with Ron Chenier & Associates. Ron Chenier, creator / founder of Cops and Rockers and Remi Goc of Ignite Web Solutions, have donated the redesigned website and the secure online donation system. “We continue to serve more and more clients in Cornwall and SDG and we felt that this would be a tremendous opportunity for us to give back”, said Goc. Adding that e-commerce and online fundraising has become an increasingly important part of the many charitable organizations using Ignite Web Solutions’ website management suite.

“Cops & Rockers is a really unique event for the Boys & Girls Club. It’s teaching kids how they can and do make a difference in their community.  Our new “506” clubhouse has been open for over three years, and the hard work and efforts of the youth through these events played a key role in that. We hope the community will once again support our young fundraisers when they coming knocking on your door as we look to equip the outdoor sports pad.” says Jacquie Richards, Executive Director of the Boys & Girls Club of Cornwall/SDG.

-30-

Visit www.copsandrockers.com for more details and photos of past events.
Find us on Facebook!

Blake Paquin, Public Affairs,
(613) 933-5000, ext. #2415, (613) 930-7430 fax line or

Christiane Taylor, Administrative Assistant Ron Chénier & Associates Inc.
(613) 932-1007